14.5.11

The Walls Will Tumble... The Walls Will Tumble

"But I'm not gonna cry" So you may be wondering what this is referring to… So basically ever since we went to Jericho this week that Hilary Duff song has been stuck in my head - constantly. You should look it up because it is a cute song but it gets more than a little annoying after five days... Anyways on Monday we headed out on our second field trip and I thought Jericho deserved it's own post so here it is. They aren't lying when they say "going down to Jericho." In Jerusalem the elevation is 2500 ft (probably closer to 2700 ft on top of Mt. Scopus) And Jericho is at 850 ft... below Mediterranean Sea Level. The drive is only about half an hour. As we were driving you could tell it was going to be a hot day, once we hit the Midbar wilderness there was nothing but brown all around us. Every so often nestled in the hills you could see Bedouin camps with their make shift corrugated steel shacks and children next to the freeway with their donkeys. Technically Jericho is in the West Bank and is under Palestinian control. We had to stop at checkpoints as we went along, but overall it was an extremely simple process. It's amazing that there are people who literally cannot get to Jerusalem because of the Separation Wall but the trip to Jericho was so easy because there is no wall in that little window of area. The area of Jericho is just a well but there is a spring there that makes all the land around it incredibly lush. I wish I had gotten a picture of the comparison of all the brown to actual Jericho which is like a tropical oasis.

The Spring of Elisha Fountain!

This is the oldest man made structure dating back to the middle bronze era.  Let's just say my life was not changed by seeing it.

The GREEN fields of Jericho.

This is the actual spring inside its own spring house. It's actually illegal for us to go into the springhouse but the guard on duty liked us so he let us in :)

Our group photo!

4 comments:

Laura Duce said...

You have no idea how envious I am right now. Maybe your parents will sponsor me???

Ashley Holladay said...

Jess, this is so cool! I'm super jealous too!

jess baker said...

Aw you guys are awesome. I totally endorse the visiting of either of you while I am here.

Laura Duce said...

btw, your mom said she wouldn't sponsor me. Lame.