12.7.13

Fellowship with God


1.    Read 1 John 1:1–4. Describe in writing John’s desire for those he wrote to. Study the following scripture references and then list what these verses teach about how we can come to know God better and have greater joy and fellowship with God:

- John's desire was for us to have fellowship with him, and really through that have fellowship with the Father and the Son. He wanted us to have this fellowship so that "our joy may be full." 

o       1 John 1:8–10: We must recognize our sin and repent of our actions.
o       1 John 2:3–6:We must keep His commandments and strive to be like Him.
o       1 John 2:9–11; 3:11–19: We must love one another.
o       1 John 2:15–17: We must leave the world and Love the Father.
o       1 John 2:20–21, 27: We must abide in the Father.
o       1 John 3:4–6: We must stay away from sin.
2.    Choose one of the ways to have greater joy and fellowship with God as you described it above, and write a paragraph explaining how you can better implement those principles in your life.

One of the principles above that I find applicable to me right now is that we must  leave the world and love the Father (1 John 2:15-17). Living where I do and working in my field  a lot of the people drawn to this work are people that love the world and are often drawn to making things perverted and unsavory. I am lucky enough to not work on those kinds of projects but it still surrounds me and the lifestyle that they live is one that doesn't draw you closer to Heavenly Father. I think that I need to do a better job of stepping back from always thinking about work and what I need to get done so that I can escape from that world and recharge. I need to be focusing more of my time to drawing closer to God through meaningful scripture study and serving others.

No comments: