23.5.10

Bucket List


For a recent assignment my teacher asked us to pick something off our bucket list and photograph it. This is about when I realized that I don’t have a bucket list and most people do. So, drum roll please, her is my superfantasticalridonkulouslyawesome BUCKET LIST (in no particular order):
1. Travel throughout South America
2. Photograph for a major magazine
3. Go to Egypt with my mom / do what my art teacher did (he paid off the pyramid guards and hiked the pyramids at 3 in the morning)
4. Date a cowboy
5. Live in the city
6. a) buy cowboy boots
    b) wear said boots to rockin’ Taylor Swift concert
7. Roll down a green grassy hill in Ireland
8. Drive a Subaru WRX STI with a hood scoop and gold rims
9. Learn to longboard
10. Go elk hunting
11. Help people in Africa
12. Document a natural disaster (i.e. photography)
13. Finish every book on my To Read list
14. Offer my photography to help someone
15. Go surfing in Australia
16. Learn Italian
17. Kiss someone under the Eiffel Tower
18. Go fishing in/on  a cruise to Alaska
19. Eat drunken Noodles in Thailand
20. Spend a day learning how a farm works and working.
21. Ride a horse (for real though not the dinky let me guide the horse while you sit on it)
22. Visit the rest of the Mayan ruins ( I have already toured Chitchen Itza, Tulum is next)
There’s probably more but this was all that was coming to me and I figure it is a good start. I will add more later if I think of them. So the assignment was to pick something on your bucket list then find a way to photograph it where we are now.  I chose #12 and found and interesting little place to take some pictures. While I was photographing it reminded me about the earthquake in Haiti, Hurricane Katrina, the tsunami in Thailand, and the current oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. I thought about how others photography had  brought that crisis to me and many others and about how I want to do that. Some may think that a photographer isn't important right after a serious event and that the aid is more important but I feel that without putting a face to that crisis and showing it to people they would be less likely to want to help the people. I feel that a photographer is the worlds eyes focused on that one event and showing it people who can't see it.

No comments: